If you’ve ever shopped for promotional imprinted T-shirts, you’ve likely encountered T shirts weight in a product description such as 5.5 oz., 6.1 oz. or 4.5 oz. Does that mean the shirt weighs that much or what?
Technically, the T shirts’ weight means that a square yard of the T shirt fabric weighs that many ounces. So for a 6.1 oz. T-shirt, a square yard of the fabric weighs 6.1 oz. As logic would dictate, the heavier the ounce weight, the thicker and heavier the T shirt.
Ounce weight of a T shirt is important to know so that you can select a shirt that’s appropriate for your marketing purpose. Most standard T shirts are in the 4.5 oz. to 6 oz. range. Below that, the fabrics are light weight and may not be very durable which might be appropriate for some applications such as one-time event use. Additionally, some lightweight T shirts are tissue, sheer or fine jersey which are popular for some markets, such as for women’s wear. If you’re looking for T shirts that will get heavy wear and tear, such as for uniform or construction use, generally a thicker weight of 6.0 oz. or above would be recommended.
Another reason ounce weight of a T shirt is important is because it will affect how much it is to ship from your supplier or decorator to you. The heavier the shirts, the heavier the boxes or the more boxes you may have to ship. T shirts are a heavy promotional item! A regular T shirt could weigh up to a half pound by itself depending on the fabric and design. Multiply that by hundreds… you get the idea. So unless you’re doing a special type of T shirt, it’s generally best to source as close to you as possible to avoid high freight costs which could run into the hundreds of dollars.
- Find Standard and Organic Promotional T Shirts (blank; decoration additional) from the BrandingWear Collection at PromoWithPurposeShop.com
- Visit the m.BrandingWear.com Promotional Apparel Site on Your Mobile Device
- USA and Union Made Promotional T-Shirts from the USAandUnionMadePromoShop.com Collection
- Read T Shirt Printing and Promotional Clothing Buyers Guide: Money Saving Tips for Marketing and Company Apparel
- 7 Things You Need to Know When Ordering Promotional T Shirts
- Promotional Products – Cure for the Common T-Shirt (video)
- Promotional T Shirts – Why NOT to Buy Them (video)
- 10 Things You Need to Know When Ordering Embroidered Apparel
- How to Start an Ecofriendly Casual Friday
Want more promotional marketing tips? Subscribe to the Promo With Purpose Today e-newsletter by entering your email below: